HOME IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
Our Home Improvement Program (HIP) provides up to $30,000* to help eligible homeowners make needed repairs on their homes, including repairs that prolong the useful life of the house, correct structural defects, or repair building systems that create health and/or safety concerns for occupants.
When possible we try to leverage our grant funds with other local grant programs, such as PEACE’s Weatherization Program. If it seems you may be eligible for other grants, we’ll also refer you to those agencies to apply for assistance. By cooperating with other agencies we’re able to have more work done on your house.
* The amount of funds is determined on a case-by-case basis. The level of assistance each eligible applicant receives is contingent on the home repairs needed, homeowner funds available, etc.
The following includes general eligibility guidelines. Please contact our office if you have specific questions about your personal situation.
1. The house must have been owned and occupied by the homeowner (the applicant and/or co-applicant) for at least one year prior to submitting an application.
2. Household members cannot have total combined assets (not including the subject property) that exceed $15,000.
3. The total income for ALL people living in the household must meet the following income limits:
Maximum income by family size:
1 person $49,800 5 people $76,900
2 people $57,000 6 people $82,600
3 people $64,100 7 people $88,200
4 people $71,100 8 people $93,900
* 80% Median Income, Syracuse MSA for 2022
Your house must also meet certain eligibility requirements:
1. Must be located in our service area (Towns of Fabius, LaFayette, Marcellus, Onondaga, Otisco, Pompey Skaneateles, Spafford, or Tully).
2. Must be a single-family home and your primary residence.
3. Mobile homes are not eligible.
4. All property taxes must be current, and the property must be insured.
The funds are in the form of a “forgivable” loan (a soft second mortgage) and are secured with a Note & Mortgage on the property. The loan is forgiven over time as long as you continue to own and live in the home. The length of the “recapture period” varies from 2 years to 10 years depending on the amount of funding you receive.
** If you currently have a Southern Hills Preservation Corporation Revolving Loan Fund loan that is past due or delinquent, you are not eligible for this program until loan payments are brought current.
To apply to our Home Improvement Program, please download the preliminary application from the link below. If you need a copy mailed to you please call our office at (315) 677-3863. Once the application is completed, please email us at email@example.com or mail it to our office at 2383 US-11, LaFayette, NY 13084